Tuesday 9 February 2010

Falling Water

The first time I can recall finding a small mass of water asthetically pleasing was at the beach. Now you might be thinking 'thats no small mass of water!' but I'm not talking about the ocean, but rather when running in the shallows I used to kick up water into the air and take a look at the spray.

I always find that when I do this and look at the droplets of water in the air, time seems to slow, allowing me to catch a glimpe of clear water droplets perfectly and somewhat impossibly suspended in mid air.

I also find it amazing that when one over-fills a glass slowly the water doesnt spill over the edge but rather bulges over the edges asthough it has been put in a completley transparent bag.

It's known as water tension and happens because of hydrogen bonding, as a result of a polar bond in H20. It is also one of the main reasons for lots of the ways that water behaves, such as ice floating on water, or water 'clinging' to itself. It can be respresnted like this.

But I prefer to look at it like this:
















And like this:



Here is the setup I used to take these, there was also a white background and a lamp but they were moved away for this picture:



I have 74 ish pictures of droplets that I decided to keep, so here they all are nice and small, if you want it larger let me know...


No comments:

Post a Comment