Saturday 11 February 2012

Welcome



What's up bloggosphere? So following on from where the last post left off I was picked up from Joburg airport straight away and was driven straight to the South Africa OM base which is just outside Pretoria.
 It was a good journey though I was very thirsty having been on an air conditioned plane for  11 1/2 hours (it drys the air out ALOT) followed by a 40 minute journey in a very hot car when I am dressed for English sub 0 temperatures so I had a good chat with one of the base leaders who also happens to be a fellow photographer!? She shoots Nikon but everything will be fine keep your hats on. We pulled into the base which was more spacious that I was expecting (not that I had many expectations I had never really thought what it would look like.)


 It was a lot like arriving at school once again - a whole bunch of new faces and names except almost none of them have English as their first language - such an insane environment! I can't imagine what it would be like to be in this already fairly intimidating environment with a language barrier on top of that. Anyway I introduced myself and went about getting to know people. Fortunately for me I was not the last to arrive - The South Africans had not yet arrived (they comprise 50% of the team) so the group scaled as I got to know people which was a nice manageable pace. I think I could now tell you most of the names of the 50 people on the team though I sometimes struggle remembering the ones that I cannot pronounce! I am amazed that I have managed to learn names so quickly and am very glad - life here would be difficult without being able to call people by name. Day 1 we were all informed that curfew was at 10pm when lights had to be out ( not something I was bothered about having not slept much on the flight) and that we would be meeting at 6 am so a 5:30 start would be necessary - less chuffed about that one. 6 Am the following morning I was surprisingly able to remain conscious but all the same I was very thankful for the abundance of normal tea and an instant hot water machine!

 It is nice to have a few home comforts. Talking of which the strangest thing happened when talking to one of my Swiss team mates having the same conversation as with everyone else - what's your name? where do you come from? Upon hearing that I was from Bristol she suddenly comes out with 'Gurt lush!' which was more shocking that all of the difference in culture landscape climate and pace of life I had experienced so far. She has just 4 weeks ago finished working for Carmel Church Bristol for 3 months. It is a small world after all ehy?

However I wouldn't want you all to think that I am not experiencing the 'true Africa' I have been eaten alive by mosquitoes, experienced mould in the showers, had to kick lizards out my shoes in the morning and woken up to the most amazing sun rise I have ever seen.
O.K Far too many words not enough pictures ...






As usual - best til last

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful sunrise! Keep safe, keep praising and keep posting! Ciao ciao Ros & co xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben, so pleased you're blogging about S.A! I love that last shot - beautiful & brilliant! You are one amazing photographer : )

    ReplyDelete