Tuesday 22 February 2011

Texture

I have decided to start a little series on texture. This is something I have been wanting to do for quite a while and this was the straw on the proverbial camels back. So texture study #1:

Battle Torn















































Living in a city I often think it would be great to go and get some hardcore grunge urban shots in the centre or  in the local industrial estate but actually being in a city urban is everywhere, this lamp post is literally a stones throw from my house and has clearly been around for quite some time - I think it has had more than it's fair share of storms, bumps and knocks.

Sealed Through Time















































I think the above was at one point a service hatch of sorts for the lamp post, it has clearly long since ceased to function in that role. The rust around the edge has made it almost indistinguishable where the door finishes and the lamp post starts. This is a door forgotten by man and sealed by time.
Break Free & Breathe














































This is my favourite texture on the post, a familiar texture but in an unfamiliar environment. when I see this I think 'dry mud'. It feels like the post is trying to shed its skin of paint that has sealed it for so long, like a snake shedding its skin.

Finally I cannot not comment on the colour - while it is shape that gives texture it is all the more accentuated by the contrasting colours and the two directly relate. I can see 3 layers and 3 colours in this, the first is the outer coat of blue paint then just under that a white coat- perhaps the original colour of the lamp post before it was painted blue? Then finally the rich deep browns and oranges of the rusted layer beneath. Now that I look closer again there is also some deep pink/Magenta, maybe from the rust bleeding through into the paint or maybe this lamp post was even red at some point, I do not know but I like that fact.

My challenge to you:
When you see the mundane - look again, closer and think again.

Let me know your thoughts on the above textures in the comments   v

1 comment:

  1. I love these images, Ben, and I love your idea to do a series on texture - it's nice to think I provided a little inspiration for you : ) am looking forward to how the series progresses!

    ReplyDelete